The American Club of Lyon was proud to host the 2016 Presidents’ Day Cocktail held at the Hotel de Ville of Lyon on the evening of February 4th. The aim of the event was to foster and celebrate Franco-American friendship and honor a U.S. president with strong ties to France.
In 2016 we honored President Dwight D. Eisenhower (1890 – 1969) who commanded the Allied forces in the Normandy invasion in World War II and acted as the first Supreme Allied Commander of NATO. In 1943, he received France’s highest military honor, the Legion of Honor (Grand Cross). During his presidency he also created the National Aeronautics and Space Association (NASA), and started the Interstate Highway System that today links American cities to one another.
This prestigious event included:
- American and French national anthems signed by Marion Loviton, a student from CSI
- Opening remarks by Karine Dognin-Sauze, the Ajointe au Maire, Meghan Fleming and Agnieszka Morillon, American Club co-Presidents and Clayton Stanger, US Consul of Lyon
- A cocktail reception catered by Jacques Larfagues
- Introduction to the raffle by Candice Blanc, director of Réussite et Avenir pour Tous. A raffle to benefit the local charity, Réussite et Avenir pour Tous, which helps underprivileged Lyonnais children. There were 35 prizes generously donated by local Lyon business and we raised 2665€, which was given entirely to the charity!
- A concert by the local bluegrass group The WindTalkers
Past Presidents’ Days
In The Press
2011 Ronald Reagan
2009 Franklin D. Roosevelt, John F. Kennedy and Barack Obama
2008 Calvin Coolidge
2007 Jacqueline Kennedy Onassis
2006 Theodore Roosevelt
2005 Woodrow Wilson
2004 Thomas Jefferson
2002 James Madison
2001 Abraham Lincoln
2000 John F. Kennedy